What to Do Until Help Arrives After a Fire in Columbia
When you experience a fire damage, call SERVPRO® of Columbia.
If your home or business suffers a fire, you may be at loss on what steps to take next. The following tips may help reduce damage and increase your chances of a successful restoration.
- Limit movement in the property. It helps prevent soot particles from becoming embedded into your carpet and upholstery.
- Keep hands clean. It could further soil upholstery, walls, woodwork, etc.
- Cover upholstery, rugs, and carpet traffic areas by placing dry, colorfast towels or old linens on them.
- If electricity is off, empty refrigerator/freezer. Clean completely and prop open doors to help prevent odors.
- Change HVAC filters; leave system off until a trained professional can check them.
- Cover air registers with cheesecloth. Tape double layers to prevent soot particles from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
- If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
When you experience a fire damage in Boone or Howard counties make sure to call the professionals at SERVPRO® of Columbia. We are here to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
What to Expect from Professionals Cleaning Fire Damage in Columbia
SERVPRO of Columbia is here to help when a fire occurs in your business or property.
Fire damage can be very overwhelming for a business or commercial property. At SERVPRO® of Columbia we understand the importance of getting you back to your pre-fire condition quickly. Not only may you experience fire, smoke, and soot damage, water damage caused by firefighting efforts and fire suppression systems may occur, also.
Tasks to expect from the professionals:
- Detailed Cleaning – to remove excess soot or other contaminants from impacted areas through HEPA vacuuming and dry sponging.
- Selective Demolition – to remove unsalvageable materials or property.
- Pack Outs – to remove salvageable personal property from the affected area for off-site cleaning and storage.
- Air Flow Management – to remove airborne contaminants and soot and to reduce offensive odors
- Deodorization – to remove or mask offensive odors and return the affected area to a usable space
SERVPRO® of Columbia will respond quickly and manage the fire restoration project through to its completion. We have the training, experience, and equipment to manage your commercial fire damage and get your property business-ready.
Managing Mold in Columbia
We have the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to handle your mold problem.
SERVPRO® of Columbia knows prompt action is required with water damages to prevent the growth of mold in your home or place of business. Water intrusions can result from storm damage, plumbing or equipment failures, long-standing leaks and poor humidity control. It is important to address water intrusions to reduce the chances of mold growth.
If you are experiencing an ongoing moisture problem in your building, be on the lookout for:
- Visible mold.
- Strong, musty odors (may indicate mold is present).
- Any evidence of past moisture problems that may have caused undetected mold growth.
- Excessive humidity.
These situations may require the expertise of a qualified Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional to inspect the building for mold growth and water damage issues.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation. We are locally owned and operated and take pride in providing mold remediation services in our local communities in Boone and Howard counties.
Dos & Don’ts when Faced with a Water Damage in Columbia
Call SERVPRO of Columbia when you are faced with a water damage.
Imagine, you come home from a long day of work and are ready to relax and unwind. You head downstairs to grab some food from the freezer for dinner and notice all the water in your newly remodeled basement. Not the relaxing evening you were imagining. What do you do?
- Call your local restoration professionals at SERVPRO® of Columbia.
- Find the source of the water and shut it off, if possible or contact a qualified party to stop the source of the water.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building, when access to the power distribution panel is safe from electrical shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Enter rooms with standing water where electrical hazards may exist.
- Enter affected areas if electrical equipment, electrical outlets, circuit breakers, or switches are exposed to water.
- Use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water. It could possibly cause electrical shock or damage to the vacuum.
- Turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
- Leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpets or floors. They may cause staining.
If you experience a water damage in your home or business, call SERVPRO® of Columbia. We cover Boone and Howard counties. Our professional technicians are trained and understand how to manage the drying process. We never expect a water damage to happen, but if it does, call the team that can make it “Like it never even happened.”
Severe Thunderstorm Watch versus Severe Thunderstorm Warning
SERVPRO® of Columbia is Here to Help® with your storm and flood damages.
The difference between a severe thunderstorm watch and a severe thunderstorm warning?
Watch: Be Prepared! This is issued by the National Weather Service when conditions are favorable for the development of severe thunderstorms in and near the watch area. The watch area normally covers numerous counties. They are typically issued for a duration of four to six hours. During the watch, stay informed, review safety rules, and be ready to act if a severe thunderstorm warning is issued.
Warning: Take Action! This is issued when either indicated by radar or reported by spotters. A warning typically covers the size of a city or small county. They are typically issued for a duration of one hour. People in the affected area should seek safe shelter immediately. Severe thunderstorms can produce tornadoes with little or no advance warning. Lightening is not a criteria for issuing a severe thunderstorm warning.
When storms hit Boone and Howard counties, SERVPRO® of Columbia is close by and ready to respond to your flood or storm damage emergency. We are proud to serve our local communities.
*Source: National Weather Service
Firework Season Safety in Columbia, Missouri
Enjoy the fireworks safely this 4th of July!
Firework season is here! They are often used for special events and holidays—most commonly 4th of July. Fireworks can fill the sky with their beauty and create oohs and aahs from spectators, but they cause thousands of burns and eye injuries each year.
Stay safe with these firework safety tips…
- BE CAREFUL!
- Do not operate fireworks under the influence of alcohol.
- Keep a close on children and pets when fireworks are being used.
- Always have a bucket of water or fire extinguisher nearby.
- Dispose of used fireworks by wetting and placing them in a metal trash can away from any building.
SERVPRO® of Columbia wants you to have a safe 4th of July. If your home or business suffers fire or smoke damage in Columbia, contact SERVPRO® of Columbia to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Commercial Restoration and Cleaning Services in Boone & Howard Counties
SERVPRO of Columbia is here to help you with your commercial restoration and cleaning needs.
When it comes to your business, you need a cleaning and restoration company that provides excellent results while minimizing the disruption to your employees and clients. SERVPRO of Columbia has the expertise and training to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
We are here to help to your business, no matter the size.
- Small Office Buildings
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- High-Rise Residential
- Manufacturing & Industrial
Commercial Building Restoration Services
SERVPRO of Columbia has the expertise, equipment, and highly trained personnel to handle your commercial water, fire, or mold damage. Most importantly, we are available 24 hours a day to restore your Columbia property and get you back to business. Our commercial restoration services include:
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
- Commercial Mold Remediation
- Commercial Storm Damage Cleanup
- Disaster Recovery Team
Commercial Building Cleaning Services
Whether your need is removing an odor problem or deep-cleaning flooring or carpets, you can depend on SERVPRO of Columbia to get the job done right the first time. We’ll respond promptly and make your work space look its very best.
Mold Remediation and Restoration in Boone and Howard Counties
Have you discovered mold in your home or business? Here mold has been found behind drywall.
When a water source (leaky roof or plumbing) is introduced to a home or business, it can quickly become infested with mold. Mold can spread throughout a property in 48-72 hours. It has the potential to produce allergens and irritants that may cause additional health effects.
When you suspect mold in your home or business, SERVPRO of Columbia can inspect and assess your property. If mold is discovered, we have the training, equipment, and expertise to handle the situation.
Mold exists almost everywhere, including indoors and outdoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Read over the following mold facts:
- Mold spores thrive on moisture and can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float in the air. They can enter your home or business through AC/heating systems, doors, or windows.
- The source of water or moisture must be addressed before the remediation can start. If not, the mold can return.
- What’s that smell? Mold can produce a musty odor.
- Higher than normal indoor humidity can aid mold growth. It is best to keep humidity below 45 percent.
If April showers leave you with a moldy May, contact the professionals at SERVPRO of Columbia. We are here to help our fellow communities in Columbia, Ashland, and Centralia surrounding areas.
Sewer Backups in Columbia, Ashland, and Centralia
Have you experienced a sewer backup? Contact the professionals at SERVPRO of Columbia to make it "Like it never even happened."
Sewer Backup—What is It and Am I Covered?
A sewer backup occurs when sewage from sanitary sewer lines back up into homes and businesses through drain pipes. Backups create damage to the structure of the property, contents, and can create health hazards.
According to the Insurance Information Institute, most homeowner and business insurance policies do not cover sewer backup. Typically, a specific sewer backup coverage needs to be added to your policy. For most insurers, this is a nominal cost on your annual insurance policy.
There are several causes for a sewer backup to occur in your property. Some include:
- Blockages from Tree Roots
- Sanitary Main Blockages
- Aging Sewer Systems
- Combined Pipelines
What can you do to help prevent backups?
- Dispose of grease and paper products properly
- Cut back tree roots periodically
- Replace your line with new plastic pipe
- Correct any illegal plumbing connections
- Install a backwater prevention valve
Experiencing a sewer backup?
In the event of a backup, immediately arrange services for the cleanup of your property by contacting SERVPRO of Columbia at 573-449-1999.
Tips on What to Do Until SERVPRO Help Arrives
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
- Do not spread contaminated by walking unnecessarily on damaged or wet areas.
- Do not turn on the HVAC system if there is a chance of spreading contaminated air.
- Do not use household fans water to dry the structure and spread contaminants.
Be Prepared for Severe Weather
Build an emergency supply kit and be prepared for an unexpected disaster.
Are you prepared for an emergency?
Ready.gov suggests you have supplies to last you at least three days. The Midwest tornado season, tends to occur from mid-March to June and Missouri is considered to be apart of “tornado alley”. As Missourians in Boone and Howard counties, we need to be prepared.
Here are some suggestions on items to have in your emergency supply kit:
—3-day supply of non-perishable foods
—Water (one+ gallon per person per day)
—Sleeping bag or blankets
—Cell phone charger
—Change of clothes
—Matches in waterproof bag
—Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
—Whistle to signal for help
—Infant formula and diapers
—Important documents such as insurance policies, IDs, and bank records in a plastic container
While creating your emergency supply kit for your home or business, create one for your vehicle.
SERVPRO of Columbia specializes in flooding and storm damage restoration. We have extensive water damage and storm restoration training that allows us to get your home back to normal quickly.